TO Live’s Operations department is currently accepting applications for a Building Operator with a BES Level I and II or equivalent certification.
This is a unionized position for an experienced and outgoing team player who will deliver exceptional service. The successful candidate will be required to join Unifor Local 2003E.
The Building Operator reports to the Director of Facilities and will be involved in the day-to-day operations of the building including general maintenance and maintaining mechanical, electrical, and life safety systems and foster positive relationships with staff, clients and contractors.
- Perform inspections and general maintenance of Building systems, including but not limited to, HVAC Systems, the Building Envelope, Fire Detection and Safety Systems, Lighting, Electrical and Water systems.
- Be aware of and ensure compliance with Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) rules and TO Live Health and Safety Policy.
- Perform water treatment chemical testing, critical system testing including base building generators, elevators, fire systems and maintain logbooks
- Respond to emergency situations when they occur and make repairs or arrange for repairs as needed.
- Maintain inventories and request materials and supplies for the maintenance activities
- Under minimal directions, completes assigned work orders and preventative maintenance and records results and closes completed work orders through CMMS.
- Perform minor repairs and PM programs: replace washers/faucets; clear sinks toilets and drains; lubricate pumps/motors; reset breakers, change belts and AHU filters etc.
- Assist with the onsite construction projects ensuring adherence to TO Live’s policies.
- Supervise all contractors and other service providers to ensure work is completed properly while adhering to health and safety policy.
- Ensure all equipment are operated in a safe and efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable government codes and regulations.
- Performance and event coverage as required and schedule.
- Seek opportunities and support best practices to reduce energy consumption.
- Share on-call duties as part of the rotation schedule, and attend any after-hours emergencies as required.
- General maintenance as required.
- Other operational duties, as assigned by Director of Facilities or designate.
- BES Level 1 and Level 2 or equivalent; Post-Secondary Education is an asset
- A minimum of 3 years direct work experience in theatres/commercial high rise building operations.
- Journeyman Tradesperson (Electrician, Plumber, and Refrigeration) is an asset but not a requirement.
- Complete working experience and knowledge in complex building systems. These include VAV, HVAC systems, Pneumatic, DDC Systems, electrical, plumbing, fire alarm, Building Automation System, e.g. Siemens Control and building security system.
- Knowledge of computerized maintenance programs (CMMS) preferred.
- Strong mechanical aptitude and understanding of building systems and equipment.
- Flexibility to changing work conditions including interruptions and multi-tasking ability.
- Operating knowledge of workplace tools such as building automation system, preventative maintenance, security, HVAC operations and life safety systems, hazardous materials handling, plumbing fixtures, door hardware, electrical systems etc.
- Good interpersonal and oral communications skills.
- Ability to write basic reports using Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Must be able to operate telephone, radio and life safety monitoring equipment.
- Displays high initiative and requires minimal supervision.
- Excellent customer service skills to ensure client requests are responded to professionally.
- Be able to work flexible variable schedule including nights, weekends and holidays
- Experience in a unionized environment and a performing arts venue would be considered an asset.
- Variable and sometimes long hours including nights, weekends and on-call shifts.
- Dealing with temperamental/difficult people.
- Some objectionable odours.
- Daily physical activity including substantial stair climbing and lifting of heavy objects.
- Travel and work within TO Live venues.
- Adhere to the TO Live Health & Safety policies and protocols including Covid vaccine and guidelines.
TO Live is one of Canada’s largest multi-arts organizations, operating three iconic venues: Meridian Hall, the St. Lawrence Centre for the Arts and Meridian Arts Centre. In addition, TO Live presents a full range of performing arts, theatrical and concert events at these venues in both downtown and uptown Toronto. With these two hubs of creativity and content creation, TO Live has a unique place and perspective to activate creative spaces by inspiring local and international artists, connect audiences and to be the nexus for new ideas, elevate artistic potential, and be the catalyst for creative expression that is reflective of Toronto’s diversity.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should apply through our TO Live careers website at: https://tolive.bamboohr.com/jobs/
No phone calls or emails please. TO Live thanks all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Together with the Toronto Public Service’s (TPS) initiatives, which TO Lives follows and adheres too, TO Live encourages applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized persons/persons of colour, persons with disabilities, women, LGBTQ2S persons, and others who may contribute to fostering innovative ideas and solutions.
We ask that you complete the questions provided as part of the online application to assist us in ensuring our recruitment process and programs are equitable and accessible. Your responses are voluntary and the information that you provide is strictly confidential.
We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). The Human Resources department will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
Date Posted: November 2, 2021
Application Deadline (Extended): December 01, 2021
Start Date: As soon as possible